How Alleged Thugs Abducted Sports Journalist, Manhandled Him In Jos
A middle -Belt popular sports presenter has been abducted by some suspected thugs during a presentation in Jay Fm 101.9 Jos, Mr Mbom Ferdinand who was reportedly abducted confirmed his abduction to our medium.
According to an eye witness, the abductors stormed the premises of Jay Fm 101.9 located at Keana road, behind National Library in Jos, some hours ago assaulted the reporter and took him away to an unknown location.
It was gathered that alleged abductors vehicle used in the operation is a campaign vehicle of Gov Simon Bako Lalong, “4+4 Lalong Boys” and is an unidentified tinted black Honda vehicle.
A video has been released on social media showing parts of the incident in front of Jay Fm 101.9 office in Jos.
Our telephone conversation with Mbo Fedinan who is a staff of Jay Fm 101.9, confirmed the incident and revealed that a formal abduction complaints has been lodged with security agencies in Jos.
Sources have revealed that the reporter had reported earlier that according to his findings from unconfirmed sources, Governor Lalong had released match bonuses to Players of Plateau United FC after their CAF Champions league clash in Kano. He confirmed that his abduction was related to the news report.
This abduction is the first of its kind in recent time where a journalist is assaulted in the premises of a media outfit and then taken away.
This adds to the safety concerns of journalist in Nigeria which has seriously deteriorated within the last 30 months.
Meanwhile the Plateau United General Manager has denies alleged order to abduct Jay FM Sports Presenter, Mr. Mbum Ferdinand.
According to him ,it is disbelief following the news that the Plateau United General Manager, Mr. Pius Henwan ordered “his thugs” to abduct a Sports Journalist and Presenter of JAY 101.9 FM, Jos over his comments on a Radio Show on Saturday Evening which prompted him “to speak om the accusations.
Mr. Pius while speaking to journalists was quick to deny the allegations while also clarifying the situation of things as it related to the bonuses due to the players
He said, “I did not order anyone’s abduction neither was I aware such. Immediately i got wind of what had happened, I made it to the Police Station where we were able to resolve the issue.”
About the allegations levied against him, Mr. Henwan said, “However, I am very embittered by his report as Plateau United are yet to receive the bonuses promised by the government of Plateau State for our achievement in the NPFL last season.”
He continued, “Yes, It is true that the players were not paid bonuses after the win against Etoile de Sahel at the Sani Abacha Stadium and it wasn’t simply because the bonus was based on progressing to the CAF Champions’ League Group Stage and not just winning the match in question.”
This was made available to our medium by the commissioner for information and communication, Hon Yakubu Dati on Sunday.
The Sports Administrator appeared disappointed that a professional journalist who could have called him to confirm the allegations went on air with comments that were capable of creating uproar within the team.
He also promised to get to the root of the event that took place on Saturday where individuals found wanting would face full consequences of their actions.
He said, “In light of Saturday’s unfortunate event, I have set up committee to look into and recommend action moving forward on the actions of the Supporters Club Chairman who led hooligans to abduct Mr. Ferdinand. I have reputation to protect so there is no chance I would get myself involved in this sort of mess.”
He concluded by taking responsibility for the actions of the Supporters Clubs Chairman, saying, “I however take full responsibility of the actions and dully apologize for the actions of the Supporters Club Chairman who has dragged the name of the club in mud.”