Plateau State Speaker, Rt Hon Peter Azi has directed the House Committee Chairman on Peace Building, Former Deputy Speaker, Rt Hon Yusuf Babayo Adamu Gagdi promised his committee with partner with media and other sisters organizations to find a lasting solution to peace in the state.
Rt Hon Yusuf Gagdi who extended the Committee interactive session to Nigeria Union of Journalists ,NUJ, Plateau State chapter the assembly complex promises open door and transparent dialogue with all stakeholders in the affected councils.
According to him, the Plateau state House of Assembly is working towards finding out the remote and immediate causes of violent conflicts in some communities in the state met with Journalists .
The committee which had member representing Kantana constituency Hon.Yusuf A.Gagdi as chairman read out the following terms of references;
- To investigate the remote and immediate cause of violent conflicts on some communities of Barkin- Ladi,Riyom,Bokkos,Mangu,Jos South and Bassa Local Government Areas respectively.
- To investigate the activities of Sara- Suka and other cult group in Ibrahim Katsina and other parts of Jos North Local Government Area.
- To identify persons or individual involved in all the violent conflicts in the areas mentioned above.
- To identify all the communities that are affected by the violent.
5.To ascertain the level of destruction on such communities affected.
- To make recommendations for possible solutions and for legislation that would curtail future occurrence.
- Any incidental recommendations that the committee deem it feet.
Rt Gagdi ” we want to meet with you as a first organ of our structure committee to speak to the members of the press regarding what is happening.
“We want to appealed and advice that the committee should not be misrepresented for whatsoever reason. In as much as we appreciate our working relationship with Journalists.
” We understand the dynamics regarding
contemporary issues in Plateau, that cannot be the same with one we investigated in 2015.Therefore,if definitely we must hit our target of ensuring that we have come up with a recommendations that would help government if implemented to avoid future occurrence,to deal with the culprits whatever there is a need, and to also make certain laws within the powers of House of Assembly that would assist in dusting tensions.
The former deputy speaker further stressed that media been a critical stakeholder in conflict management,” understanding the subject matter of what is happening on the Plateau depends largely on your mode of operation. If you do it well Plateau people and world at large will definitely understand.
He also promised to engage civil society organizations, plateau peace building agency, security organizations,CAN,JNI and Plateau state traditional council of chiefs.
The Chairman assured that the committee would strictly work with time and to justice to Plateau people and any person that is affected by the crisis.