Press Briefing By The Commissioner Of Police FCT, Wilson Inalegwu Abuja, 30th December, 2014
May I first of all extend my greetings to all the residents of the Federal Capital Territory for the confidence reposed on the officers and men of the FCT Police Command through your collaboration and prompt release of information to us from your various localities. Indeed, your massive support to the Command within these 3 months of my stay as the FCT Commissioner of Police has been very overwhelming.
When I came on board, I assured the residents of the Territory of our preparedness to get the city clear of all forms of criminal elements.
So far, our renewed efforts have yielded tremendous result as shown in most of our recent achievements. As the saying goes, “reward for hard work is more work”, the achievements we have recorded so far has ignited the personnel of the FCT Police Command into more work, which results, we are here to showcase. Some of this remarkable achievements/breakthrough is summarized as follows:
1. Armed Robbery/one chance suspects arrested = 6.
2. Cars/Motorcycle snatchers arrested = 8.
3. No. of Arms recovered = 3.
4. No. of Vehicles recovered within the month = 17.
5. No of Vehicles released to rightful owners = 14.
6. No. of suspects arrested on other offences = 24.
CATTLE RUSTLING: OVER 203 CATTLES RECOVERED.
The Command have intercepted and recovered over 203 Cattle’s from rustlers who operates from neighbouring states like Nasarawa, Niger and Kogi States, respectively.
There is an ongoing collaboration with Traditional Chiefs, village Heads, and neighbouring states to ensure we put the menace of cattle rustling to an end. Our patrol teams have been very active as they have foiled most of their operations.
My advice to them is:
• Always remain vigilant.
• Continue to have confidence in the police.
• Vehicle owners should avoid parking at isolated places when making calls as they might be followed by criminal elements.
• Any time they park their vehicles in a public place either to shop or do any other thing, within intervals; they should always come out to check their vehicles.
• Always check vehicles before boarding to avoid falling victim of one chance robbery.
• Don`t be enticed with tempting business offers, as it may turn out to be fraudulent..
• Pedestrians are advised to always make use of pedestrian bridges to avoid hit and run.
I wish all the residents of FCT a very prosperous 2015.