Plateau Commissioner For Local Government, Permanent Secretary, District Head Dragged For Contempt Of Court
The Bokko Local Government Area of Plateau State in Butura Community have been engaged in a chieftaincy crisis, as Traditional king makers has dragged the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs and his permanent secretary including district head to court for contempt of court.
Dyak family of Butura approach the High Court demanding the enforcement of judgment entered in their favour which the ministry has refused to implement the order. However, the Judge absence stalled the prayers of the plaintiff at the state High court sitting in Bukuru.
The Honourable Commissioner for Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Plateau State, Hon. Dayyabu Garga, his Permanent Secretary, Mr. James Yilnaan, Barr. Michael Dadok, a Director in the Ministry, Mr. Monday Adachin and the District Head of Bokkos, have been dragged to the Plateau State High Court to face contempt charges.
However, the inability of the presiding Judge to sit last week, the expected docking of the alleged contemnors could not hold.
Our correspondent gathered that, the Hon. Justice Kunda, could not sit as he was to honour the ongoing Law-week ceremony of the NBA Bukuru Branch.
The matter has therefore been adjourned to 24thJuly, 2017, for hearing.
However, in the Motion on Notice filed in Suit No. PLD/J284/2001, by the Judgment Creditors, Masok Malo Tagben, Malo Matawal and Enock Kamo (for themselves and on behalf of the Dyak Ruling House of Butura) against the Contemnors/Respondents and coming under, Orders 9, 33 and 42 of the high Court Civil Procedure Rules (As amended); the Practice Directions and Order 5 Rule 7 Judgment Enforcement Rules, by their Counsel, S. S. Obende of S. S. Obende & Co, the Judgment Creditors have prayed the Court to order the committing of the following:
- Mr. John Gabriel Mallo
- Mr. Bulus Mandor
- Mr. Monday Adachin
- Hon. Luka Makut Bwoi
- Dayabu Garga
- Mr. James Yilnaan and
- Mr. Mike Dadok
To prison for their alleged acts of willful disobedience to the orders of the High Court, by which they held the authority of the court in great disrespect and contempt.
Furthermore, they prayed the court to remand them in prison custody until they purge themselves of the act of contempt.
According to the grounds of the application, the Judgment Creditors had averred that:
- On the 16th day of March, 2005, the High Court in Suit No. PLD/J284/2001, entered judgment for the Dyak family in this suit and made specific positive orders against the defendants/Respondents/ contemnors, in respect of the Traditional Title of the Galadima Butura.
- This court in the drawn up order signed by the High Court Judge on the 21st March 2005, ordered amongst others thus:
- That only a male adult member of the Dyak Clan is entitled to be appointed the Galadima Butura by Saf Nyorong, who is the sole Appointing Authority.
- That the Defendants, jointly or severally have no powers and legal rights to interfere with the nomination, selection, appointments, suspension and removal of the holder of the Chieftaincy Title of the Galadima Butura in Bokkos Local Government Council.
- That the defendants, their agents, servants or privies are hereby restrained from any manner, interfering in or tempering with the Title of the Galadima Butura of Bokkos Local Government Area, henceforth.