Plateau State Governor Simon Bako Lalong on Tuesday swore in the new Management Committee Chairman of Barkin Ladi, Hon. Jock Alamba to replace the late Chairman, Barr. Ezekiel Mandyau who died in July this year.
At the event, he charged to him is to ensure that he works for the best interest of the people of the Local Government particularly at this time when COVID-19 is impacting the economy and livelihood of Nigerians.
Below is the full text of the Governor’s speech at the event:
REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, RT. HON. (DR) SIMON BAKO LALONG, KSGG, EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF PLATEAU STATE AT THE SWEARING-IN OF HON. JOCK ALAMBA AS MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN, BARKIN LADI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, ON 8TH SEPTEMBER 2020 AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE, LITTLE RAYFIELD – JOS.
- This is another significant event in the governance of our State which became necessary following the unfortunate demise of the late Management Committee Chairman of Barkin Ladi Local Government, Hon. Barr. Ezekiel Mandyau who died in July this year.
- You will recall that the late Barr. Mandyau was sworn in as Management Committee Chairman of Barkin Ladi Local Government in October last year alongside those of Jos South, Jos North and Riyom Local Government Areas.
- It is on record that he did his best to carry out people-oriented programmes and projects in the Local Government in line with our Rescue Agenda which impacted positively on the citizens. Sadly he took ill and passed on at a time when he was very active in the fight against COVID-19.
- Today’s event which is the swearing-in of Hon. Jock Alamba as Management Committee Chairman for Barkin Ladi is therefore necessary in order to fill the vacuum and ensure that governance in the Local Government continues unhindered.
- As the tier of government closer to the people, the expectations are very high for delivery of basic services that will improve the living standards of the people. Therefore, you must take this assignment as a challenge for you to bring to bear your wealth of experience and make a difference.
- You are coming at a time when the Nation and our State is dealing with the impact of the Corona Virus pandemic which has adversely affected many facets of life, including finances of the Local Governments.
- This means that you must embrace prudence, accountability and accord priority to the programmes and projects that have direct bearing on the lives of the people. There is no time for wasteful spending and financial recklessness.
- I urge you to consult widely and carry along all stakeholders in running the affairs of the Local Government. You must be fair to all and ensure that you avoid any action that can divide the people.
- Also endeavour to work harmoniously with members of the legislative arm, traditional council and relevant groups to proffer solutions to immediate challenges especially those related to security.
- Barkin Ladi has enjoyed substantial peace over the years following intense efforts of our administration through the Plateau Peace Building Agency and the cooperation of all stakeholders and security agencies.
- I expect you to build on this and ensure that the days of violence are gone for good. With the effort to begin community policing, there is greater hope that crimes and criminals will be tackled easily as intelligence gathering and early response improves.
- Government also expects you to carry out robust community engagement and public awareness campaign in the fight against COVID-19 as we are currently witnessing community transmission. We must work harder in mobilizing the people particularly at the grassroots to follow all protocols and observe guidelines.
- As an experienced politician, administrator and National Officer of the All Progressives Congress, your capacity to deliver on this assignment is not in doubt. Therefore, you must resist any attempt to distract you from the task of making positive impact on the lives of the people of Barkin Ladi Local Government.
- Finally, I wish to appreciate the Rt. Hon. Speaker of the Plateau State House of Assembly Nuhu Abok Ayuba and the entire honourable members of the House for approving the appointment of this veteran who has agreed to one again serve his people.
- Be assured that we shall give you all the support required for you to succeed on this challenging assignment.
- Thank you and God bless Plateau State.
Rt. Hon. (Dr) Simon Bako Lalong
Executive Governor, Plateau State.
8th September 2020.