Akwa Ibom State Local Government Council Elections, 31 October, 2020: Restriction Of Movement
In compliance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999(as amended) the Akwa Ibom State Independent Electoral Commission (AKISIEC) will conduct elections on 31st October, 2020 as earlier announced.
In order to ensure a free, fair, credible and peaceful conduct of elections into the 31 Local Government Councils of Akwa Ibom State, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, His Excellency Mr. Udom Emmanuel, has directed as follows:
- That all Inter-state border entry points, leading into Akwa Ibom State, be closed from 7am to 2pm on Saturday, 31st October, 2020.
- That human and vehicular movements be restricted from 7am to 2pm on Saturday 31st October, 2020. Eligible voters are therefore enjoined to stay within the premises of their polling units during the period of the elections.
- That those on essential duties, viz: medical personnel, electoral officials and election observers, accredited pressmen be exempted from the movement restrictions.
- That, in order to enable active participation of civil servants in the election, work will close at 2pm on Friday 30 October, 2020.
- That the subsisting state-wide daily curfew of 8pm to 7am is still in force till further notice.
- That all citizens and residents are advised to continue to be law-abiding in the maintenance of peace in Akwa Ibom State.
- That all voters, while queuing to exercise their franchise, should comply with the AKSG/NCDC/WHO approved COVID-19 Guidelines and Protocols.
All Security Agencies have been briefed to strictly enforce this restriction of movement directive.
Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem
Secretary to State Government