The Katsina State Government has ordered the closure all boarding schools in the state, following mass abduction of schoolboys at Government Secondary School, Kankara.
Speaking to journalists on Saturday when he visited the school, Governor Aminu Masari said the state government is making efforts to rescue the boys.
“This big tragedy, and our concern and commitment towards rescuing the schoolboys is beyond measure.
“We can’t say we are more concerned than parents, but we deeply share in their pains, knowing full well that we are responsible for the protection of their lives and well-being.
“The soldiers have informed me that they are currently battling with the bandits, and we will do our best to rescue them all.
“We have ordered the closure of all schools and directed that all the schoolboys be returned to their parents,” the governor said.
On the number of abducted students, the governor said nobody could ascertain the number at the moment.
A schoolteacher on Saturday morning told our reporter on the condition of anonymity that the school has over 800 students, with the exception of JS3 and SS3 students who are now out of school.
He said so far 600 students are yet to return to the school several hours after the attack. “We are still hoping that some of them might return. We believe some of them fled the attack and ran into the bush,” he said.
The teacher said the bandits, after gathering the students in one place, shepherded them towards Pauwa village, where they kept dozens of motorcycles.
Source: Daily Nigerian