By ecclesiastical approximation,the three numbers in the above title are very significant. 5 connotes grace, 6 is the number of man while 12 speaks of authority, order and government. It’s therefore so apt that the 12 striking achievements of Hon. Barr. Deacon Sergius Ose Ogun, Member, House of Representatives, Esan North East /South East Federal Constituency, in his first six months in office is occupying the front burner in the 12th month of 2015 . The achievements are vividly enumerated under two broad categories viz:
- He moved a motion for the protection of indigenous Contractors in the Petroleum Sector. The motion was adopted by the House and referred to the House Committee on Petroleum Resources (Upstream Sector)v to pry into regulatory processes that compromise the Nigeria Content Law Objectives with a view to re-invigorating policies and programmes that promote national interest .
- Honourable Sergius Ose Ogun moved a motion on: “The Need to Provide Rehabilitation and Welfare Centres For Critically Ill And Physically Challenged Persons” on the floor of the House of Representatives on Wednesday 9th December 2015. In adopting the motion, the House resolved that its committees on Health Care Services, Poverty Alleviation, Women Affairs and Social Development should liase with relevant ministries to formulate measures to address the issue while urging the Federal Government to make budgetary provisions in the 2016 Appropriation Bill for such categories of Nigerians.
- He moved a motion on the Need to Curb The Rising Spate of Kidnapping/Robbery in Esan East /South East Federal Constituency.
- At the height of the flood which destroyed hundreds of houses and farms at Illushi, Esan South East LGA, Hon Sergius Ogun, in conjunction with his Honourable colleagues, sponsored a motion to compel the Federal government to provide relief materials and adequate compensation for the flood victims while urging the government to evolve drastic measures to tackle the nagging menace, once and for all.
In addition to the above, he brought his intellect, wealth of experience, infectious vocal prowess and strength of oratory to bear on debates and deliberations on the floor of the Green Chambers of the National Assembly, making well-informed, well-thought out and well-researched contributions to debates/motions with princely dignity and disarming confidence. His incisive and distinctive contributions to the motion on the need to revisit the sale of NITEL&MTEL would remain ever green in the minds of Nigerians. More also, his active and effective 100 % participation in committee assignments is a big plus to his legislative credentials.
PHILANTHROPIC GESTURES / SELF-SPONSORED CONSTITUENCY PROJECTS
- In collaboration with National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI) Umudike, Abia State, Hon. Barr. Deacon Sergius Ose Ogun empowered two hundred and ten farmers in the federal Constituency. They received practical training on how to produce cassava bread, cassava cake, cassava bun, cassava crisps, cocoyam strips, cassava salad cream and fruit juice. At the end of the five-day empowerment seminar each farmer smiled home with a bundle of high yield cassava stems and certificate of participation.
- He awarded full scholarship to 189 students who are studying various courses at the National Institute of Construction Technology Uromi, Edo State
7.He sponsored the first ever music talent hunt in Esan North East /South East Federal Constituency. Three promising music stars were discovered at the end of the SOO LIVE THE DREAM MUSIC TALENT HUNT. The star winner B. O. G got two thousand naira cash prize, the first runner up DEBORAH CHRISTY ODIBOH was rewarded with one hundred thousand naira while the second runner up DES KAY received fifty thousand naira. They have been signed on to DIHOO RECORDS, a national record label which is now saddled with the pleasant responsibility of producing their albums /singles while training /mentoring the youngsters to musical stardom.
- In conjunction with OFURE MEDICAL OUTREACH, an arm of OFURE CENTRE FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT Port Harcourt, the Honourable Member representing the collective interest of Agbazilo people at the National Assembly sponsored and conducted free medical outreach programmes at Uzea and Emu Communities in November 2015. Over four thousand residents suffering from diverse diseases /ailments were counselled, diagnosed and treated, free of charge and each went home with free drugs as recommended by the doctors and free mosquito treated nets.
- He constructed a fully functional bore-hole at Uzea, Esan North East LGA.
- In September 2015,the Federal Lawmaker sponsored the printing and distribution of three hundred thousand note books to students /pupils in both private and public schools in Esan North East /South East Federal Constituency
- He rewarded the best graduating Esan HND student Etusi Deborah and Best Graduating Esan ND Student Ovienmhanda Faith Osesenaga both of Auchi Polytechnic Auchi with the princely sum of one hundred thousand naira and fifty thousand naira respectively. The presentation ceremony was held in Auchi Polytechnic on 11th December 2015. The Proactive and actively active Honourable also sponsored the UROMI YOUTH AND ALDULTS EMPOWERMENT SEMINAR and a talk show on :SKILL ACQUISITION :A PANACEA TO NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT at the National Institute of Construction Technology, Uromi.
- Sergius Oseasochie Ogun Foundation (SOOF) 2015 /2016 FREE NECO /SSCE ENROLMENT SCHEME (registration currently in progress, selection test holds on 9th January 2016 and thereafter six hundred deserving applicants shall receive cash grant from the Foundation to enroll for their NECO /SSCE just as the overall six best candidates shall be granted automatic Scholarship to any University of their choice within Nigeria.)