Our attention has been drawn to a statement signed by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi calling on President Muhammadu Buhari to call the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami to order for diligently doing his job.
We read with utmost shock and disgust the statement emanating from Senator Abudullahi as the Senate official reaction to news of arraignment of some persons over an alleged forgery of the 2015 Senate Standing Rules.
We observed that instead of addressing some fundamental questions about the legality of the actions of certain individuals, the Senate official reaction embarked on name calling and its usual smear campaign.
We thought that, the Senate official reaction would have found it convenient to answer the following questions in their statement.
- Who authorized the promulgation of the Senate Standing Order 2015?
- Who published the Senate Standing Order 2015?
- Who approved the Senate Standing Order 2015?
- Who paid for the publishing of the Senate Standing Order 2015?
- Who distributed the Senate Standing Order 2015?
- Does the action of the accused persons contravene section 97 (1) of the Penal Code Law of the federation?
- What power does the Constitution of Nigeria confers on the Attorney-General of the Federation as the Chief Law Officer of the Federation concerning the breach of the Penal Code Law or any other laws of the nation?
Until we get answers from the Senate on the above questions raised then shall we provide answers to issues like blatant abuse of judicial process, undue interference in the internal affairs of the Senate and Separation of Powers which Senator Abudullahi raised in his statement.
Mr. Brown Justice,
Convener of the New Mandate Movement