Federal High Court Adjourns To 26th, 27th September 2017 For Continuation Of Hearing On Case Between EFCC And Former Governor Of Gombe Senator Goje
The Federal High Court sitting in Jos has adjourned to 26th ,27 of September, 2017 for continuation of hearing into the suit filed by Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) accusing the former Gombe state Governor now Sen. Danjuma Goje and three others for money laundering.
Justice Quadiri stated this on Tuesday after taken two of the EFCC witnesses by the prosecuting counsel, Barr. Wahab shittu on exhibit RR1 20th December, 2006 appropriation law signed by His Excellency Governor Danjuma Goje .
The second witness ,Mr Mohammed Garba Gombe the Acting Director of planning ,Research and statistics was invited to give evidence on SUBEB contract awarded by Gov.Danjuma Goje dated 18/8/2011 ,19/9/2011 under session 214,215,232 by prosecuting counsel.
The defense counsel, Barr. Paul Okoroko while cross examining the witness Mr. Mohammad Garba Gombe on pre- qualification on award of contract to supply 700,000 dictionaries each to primaries and junior secondary schools in Gombe.
Gombe said after all the companies that went for the bidding, real integrated company emerged the first when the Executive Chairman sent their names to UBEB for clearance which was advertised on national dailies.
According to the witness Mr. Mohammad Garba, a competent contractor submitted their documents for pre- qualification which one of them real integrated and selective bidding was made with due process follow to supply 1,400,000.00 copies of dictionaries to junior secondary schools and primary schools.
When the defense counsel Barr Ekoroko seek to know how payment were made ,he said I am not the one handling payment but 15% paid for mobilization after the have scale through bank grantees then performing 35% against and another 35% final payment of 15% .
However, the contractor dragged Gombe state government to Court for not paying the remaining balance of 25%, adding Governor Hassan Dankwambo refused to accept 98,000 dictionaries brought by the contractor, defense counsel told the court.
Goje, a man of financial Prudence, introduced due process in Gombe – Prosecution witness
A prosecution witness (PW12) on Wednesday told Jos Federal High Court II that Sen Danjuma Goje was a man of financial prudence and was the first to introduce Due Process in Gombe State.
Goje, former Governor of the state, has been facing an 18- count charge of conspiracy and money laundering since 2012.
Also being tried along with Goje are Alhaji Aliyu El-Nafarty, former Chairman, Gombe State Universal Basic Education Board, Alhaji Sambo Tumu, his cousin, who was contracted to supply food to the Government House, and one S.M. Dakoro, a businessman.
According to the EFCC, the quartet conspired to defraud the state of about N25 billion via illegal acts, contrary to, and punishable under sections 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 of the Money Laundering (Prohibition Act) 2011 as amended.
But the witness, Mr Mohammed Tukur, who is the former Accountant General of Gombe State, told the court presided by Justice Babatunde Quadiri during a cross examination by Defence Counsel, Mr Paul Erokoro (SAN) that Goje proved himself as a good leader.
“Alh. Danjuma Goje was the first person to introduce due process and guidelines in Gombe state and throughout his tenure he never breached any
“He is a man of financial prudence and good leader, ’’ the witness said.
Another witness (PW13), Mrs Rukayatu Jallo, who had earlier told court during EFCC’s Counsel, Mr Wahab Shittu, scrutiny, that there was no mention of loan in all the budgets in Gombe, later affirmed that there was the resolution in all of them during cross examination by Erokoro.
Jallo, Legal officer of Gombe House of Assembly, said, “Now that I have seen the sections in the budgets, I now agree that the issue of loan facilities both external and internal were included in all the budgets especially that of 2011 where the governor was entitled to a loan facility of N15 billion.’’
Our Correspondent reports that beside the duo, Mr. Ahmed Garba, former Gombe state Director of Research and Planning, told the court that the award of Contract for the supply of Dictionaries SUBEC were followed due process.
Another witness, Mr. Musa Atiku, former Clerk of the House of Assembly, who had earlier told the court that the he did not sign the resolution for the N5 billion Access Bank loan facilities, latter acknowledges during cross examination that he did not protest at all.
Erokoro had put it to him that he received a letter from the bank informing him of its readiness to grant the loan based on the resolution but he did not object by way of writing and he answered, “yes I didn’t.’’
“You never voice any objection at recipe of the banks letter, the defence counsel asked, and Atiku answered, “yes sir, I did not.’’
Shittu, who told the court that he had finished taken his five prosecution witnesses told the court that he was done and would want an adjournment of he case.
At that point the two counsels of both the two parties jointly applied for the adjournment to enable them meet up with their flights back to Lagos.
Justice Quadiri, however, adjourned the case to Sept 25 and 26, 2017 for continuation of hearing.