Explosion, Gunshots In Maiduguri
- 15,000 Fleeing Nigerians Return From Cameroon
Reports reaching the Nigerian Tribune from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, on Wednesday, indicated that several people might have been killed, following clash between members of the Boko Haram sect and the youth group popularly called Civilian JTF.
According to some residents living close to Jajeri ward, who ran for safety, there were several gunshots and bomb explosions at Jajeri, behind Baga Market, at about 1.15 p.m.
They said problem stated when the youth group confronted the Boko Haram members in a fight at Jajere.
“You know the JTF have since been given a supportive hand to the Civilian JTF. Now there was serious stop and search on Baga road by the Civilian JTF and, at least six Boko Haram suspects have been arrested so far,” a source told the Nigerian Tribune.
It will be recalled that the explosion was second within a week, as a woman exploded, carrying improvised explosive device (IED) in Maiduguri Monday Market.
Nigerian Tribune, however, could not get confirmation from military authorities, as the JTF spokesman, Lieutenant-Colonel Sagir Musa, could not be reached to speak on the latest development in Maiduguri.
Also, Nigerian Tribune learnt that at least, three of the 20 Boko Haram suspects who disguised in female clothes in an attempt to attack Ibrahim Taiwo Police Station, on Baga road, on Wednesday, had been killed.A security source said upon getting the information that some terrorists were planning to attack the station, they mobilised their people and were able to repel the attack and killed three of them.
“It was after we had killed three of them that we realised that all those killed are men in women dresses,” the source said.
It was also gathered that roads leading to Umarari, Federal Low Cost and Zajeri wards were cordoned off for over two hours by the JTF to prevent further attacks.
In another development, men of the Counter Terrorist Unit have arrested five Boko Haram terrorists in different locations in the metropolis.
The security source said three of the suspected terrorists had been confirmed dead, following the bullet wounds they sustained during an exchange of gunfire that ensued between the terrorists and men of the Counter Terrorist Unit.
15,000 fleeing Nigerians agree to return from Cameroon
About 15,000 Nigerians who fled to the neighbouring Republic of Cameroon as a result of intense military operations against Boko Haram insurgents in Borno, on Wednesday, agreed to return home.
The Nigerians, mostly from Gwoza Local Government Area of the state, fled the country a week ago, following renewed military operations against insurgents in the area.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the communities included Ashigashiya, Ngoshe and Parawa.
Leaders of the communities told the state deputy governor, Alhaji Mustapha Zanna, who visited them, that they fled to save their lives.
Responding, the deputy governor urged them to return home, assuring that the government and security agencies would protect them.
Plateau communal crisis: Casualty figure exaggerated – STF
The Special Task Force (STF) in charge of security in Plateau State has dispelled the rumour of further attack in the Southern part of the state, saying the numbers of casualty are more on the part of the attackers, with over 100 of them killed, while the entire senatorial zone is now secured from further attack by the Fulani militia.
Commander of the Task Force, Major-General Henry, who stated this in a chat with newsmen in his office in Jos, condemned media reports that the casualties on the part of the villagers had continued to be on the increase, adding that figures quoted by some media were outrageous.
“This is not a case of ethnic crises between Fulani and Tarok, it was a case where some gunmen came to attack residence of three communities of Langtang South Local Government Area.
“As soon as the STF got the information, we move in there to confront the attackers. They challenged my troops but when they discovered we have superior fire, they fled.
“But before the gunmen retreated, we had killed over 20 of them. My troop traced them in their direction and gunned down several of them days after the attack.
“So far, we have killed more than 100 of the attackers before we succeeded in securing the areas,” he said.
The STF commander debunked the insinuation that fierce fighting was still ongoing in the affected area, adding that the attackers, who came in their large numbers, were chased out of the communities the same day they invaded. the villages, with many of them killed.