BY DR. MOHAMMED ALI INNAME CHAIRMAN, SOKOTO STATE TASKFORCE COMMITTEE ON COVID-19 AND COMMISSIONER FOR HEALTH
- All praise is due to the Almighty Allah all times, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. We are all aware of the ongoing efforts making by both Federal and State Governments to curtail the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic that affects the entire globe.
- As you all know, Sokoto state has in collaboration with Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), The World Health Organization (WHO) and many other stakeholders has been working round the clock to curtail the spread of the virus in the state. Our innovative approach of the 3Ts (Trace, Test and Treat) has been proactive and effective in aligning the various stages of identification, testing and treatment of suspected and confirmed cases in the State.
- As at today, Sokoto State has increased its total number of tests with an additional twenty test from 589 to 609 with all the twenty tests returned negative. Also, the total number of positive patients stands as 113 while the total number of people discharged so far remains 75. We have 25 remaining in our isolation centre. The total negative case also increased from 466 on Tuesday, 19/05/2020, to 486 on Wednesday, 20/05/2020. The number of fatalities recorded in the state also stands at 13 while the total number of pending test in the state is 10 as at same day.
- Equally, we have added another 40 Beds Building at Infectious Disease Hospital Amanawa, as Covid-19 Isolation Centre build and furnished by His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal’s administration.
- Newsworthy, as we celebrate Eid-fitr, we remind the good people of Sokoto State, especially our Muslim Ummah to adhere with the position taken by His Eminence, Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Muhammadu Abubakar and other stake-holders, on the need to observe the Eid-fitr congregation prayers at various Juma’at mosques in compliance with other safety protocols.
- We are appealing to the general public that this is not the best time to embark on festive visitation; rather, we encourage you to make use of social media or any other means of communication to extend best wishes to fellow Muslim Ummah and loved ones. But where the visitation became necessary, social distancing, use of face mask and constant use of sanitizers at interval should be applicable.
- I would like to use this medium to thank and appreciate the Governor of Sokoto State, Rt. Honorable Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (Matawallen Sokoto) CFR for all the interest and the support he have been giving to the health sectors all geared towards ensuring the Health and Wellbeing of the Good People of Sokoto State.
- I would also like to appreciate the Sultanate Council and His Eminence the Sultan Alhaji Sa’ad Muhammadu Abubakar for his leadership in this challenging times. We also thank security personnel and the media for their support in this fight and urge them to continue by providing the our team with vital information that will assist us in contact tracing and case search.
- On behalf of Sokoto State Government, I wish to extend our appreciation to all those who support our effort in one way or the other toward eradication of the pandemic.
- Finally, Am appealing to all Muslim Ummah to pray for the state and country in general during the Eid-fitr prayers for Allah’s intervention for the end of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Thank you and Wassalamu Alaikum.
- MOHAMMED ALI INNAME,
CHAIRMAN, SOKOTO STATE TASKFORCE COMMITTEE ON COVID-19