October 18, 2018
  • Home
  • Headlines
  • How Cartons And Sacks Were Used To Bury Our Daughters, Jang, Wife Abandoned Us—Families Of 12 Dead Female Players Of Rock City FC

How Cartons And Sacks Were Used To Bury Our Daughters, Jang, Wife Abandoned Us—Families Of 12 Dead Female Players Of Rock City FC

By on July 13, 2017 0 19 Views

Yakubu Busari

Twelve families of the Rock City Female Football team that perished in a ghastly motor accident around Barki  Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau in 2008 has submitted a petition to National Human Rights Commission against the former first Lady of Plateau, Mrs Talatu Jang  and her husband Senator Jonah Jang after winning the peace tournament organized by the former first lady organizing.

In an interview with our correspondent, the dead female footballers’ parents accused the   former Governor Jonah David Jang and his Wife Talatu Jang of using cartons and expended sacks to bury the 12 fatalities of Rock City motor accident in 2008.

The matter has been lingering for long; the aggrieved parents expressed their anger that the former Governor Jonah Jang has been insensitive to them since the dead of their children in 2008.

According to them Mrs. Talatu Jang and her husband didn’t make any  effort to see the victims’ families especially the female team players that has brought so many laurels for the Plateau State under former governor Jang, even as they accused the then Council Chairman , Hon Timothy Buba usually collect the awards including the money attached to it.

According to the parents, the former governor wife promised them, that they are free to see here immediately after the burial rite was over, but few months after the death of their children she denied them access to her residence and even warned them not to mention her name.

“Mrs Jang denied us coming to see her in the house, whenever we make any attempt the security will stop us, the worst is that she denied that she didn’t organize the peace tournament competition,” the parents lamented.

Speaking further the parents said; “After organizing the peace football competition these innocent children were driving along Mangu to Barkin Ladi and had the fatal accident were 12 of them were burnt to dead, while 4 survived, however there has not been any single assistance from the former first family to help settle all their medical bills.”

Since 2008 when this ugly calamity occurred, we have been living in a state of confusion and fear that these young girls who have served their state died in vain with nothing in return to show for all their achievements, the then council Chairman Hon Timothy Buba also has neglected us, each time we make an attempt to see him and those top government officials that are saddle with the responsibility of resolving the matter out of court he always refuse.

The parents explained further that, after the burial ceremony, the state government through the local government chairman, gave them N300, 000.00 which the then government claimed that the money was given to them as compensation, since then, Jang’s government shut its doors and each time they assembly ourselves to meet with the appropriate authority they would tell the security not allow anybody in, as the said the same scenario was on, until Jang left office.

“We are calling on the Government of Barr. Simon Bako Lalong to take into consideration the situation some of us have gone through, the trauma we have faced due to the loss of our beloved children who had done the state and the country proud in terms of winning trophies within and outside the country,” the parents said.

“We are pursuing the out of court settlement with them which has remained a deadlock for about 8 years now; we are calling on people to come to our rescue.”

This medium learnt that the case which in court has been adjourned to 26th September, 2017 for continuation of hearing.

One of the survival of the accident the assistant head coach Rock City, Alh Zakari Ahmed expressed dismay with that level of treatment they received from government.

He said those 12 females footballers paid their supreme sacrifice for the state yet government refused to honour them with anything, they work hard with nothing show.

The counsel to the parents, Barr. Armstrong Ekomah appealed that he has been frustrated by top government officials even when they agreed out of court settlement.

He called on Governor Simon Bako Lalong to kindly consider the plight of these parents of these innocent girls who lost their lives for the commitment of Plateau project.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: