It is with a feeling of elation and fulfillment that I welcome you all to this epoch-making event which marks the ground breaking of the construction of low-cost houses for officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force.
- This landmark event symbolizes the continuation of efforts of the Force Leadership to address one of the most fundamental challenges facing Officers and Men, which access to decent accommodation for themselves and their supportive families. Aside this, today’s event represents another historic step towards advancing the welfare oriented policing component of my Strategic Police Plans as Inspector General of Police.
- Ladies and gentlemen, this project is being undertaken by the Nigeria Police Force Property Development Company in conjunction with Shelter Afrique and UN Habitat. The partnership will lead to the construction of twenty five thousand (25,000) units of low cost houses for members of the Nigeria Police Force nationwide. Today, the construction of one thousand and four (1,004) units of this initiative is being launched in the FCT.
- Prior to this time, similar projects have been completed and handed over to members of the Rank and File cadre in Katsina, Adamawa, Edo and Enugu States. This was made possible through the incorporation of the Nigeria Police Force Property Development Company which engages direct labour using our assets in the Logistics and Supply Department to construct such houses. In addition, the Force has also been partnering with Private developers and just recently, the Brick City Housing Project in Kubwa which was also commissioned under the Public-Private partnership initiative.
- The uniqueness of today’s event, however, rests on the fact that this is the first time that international bodies will be collaborating with the Nigeria Police Force for purpose of addressing the housing needs of the personnel of the Force. This represents an increasing confidence of the international bodies in not just the Nigeria Police Force, but in the Federal Government. It is also pertinent to mention that this is reflective of the outcome of the series of diplomatic shuttles undertaken by Mr. President towards the enhancement of national security.
- It is against this background that I wish to acknowledge the President and Commander-in-Chief for being an invaluable motivator to the Force Leadership in our drive towards reforming and addressing the endemic challenges in the Nigeria Police which have been militating against our optimal performance over the years.
- I also wish to thank our foreign partners for their collaborative effort as well as Officers and Men of the Force who have been active in the process of perfecting this partnership. I am confident that by the time this Project is concluded and delivered to Officers the challenge of accommodation for Officers and Men of the Nigeria Police Force in all Formations in the FCT would have been effectively addressed. It is my long-term expectation that such will impact on the self esteem, commitment to duty, and service delivery of officers and men of the Force.
- I therefore welcome you all to this historic event and thank you all for your continued support of the Nigeria Police Force. May God bless you all.