Court disbands medical panel on Governor Suntai
A Nigerian High Court on Friday in Jalingo, capital of Taraba State nullified the medical panel set up by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Mr Josiah Kente, to investigate the health status of Governor Danbaba Suntai.
Justice Silas Haruna in a five-hour judgement said the action of the state’s Executive Council and the state assembly in setting up the panel was a usurpation of the judicial process.
Haruna held that Suntai had already filed a suit before the state high court, challenging the decision of the house of assembly to stop him from resuming duty after he transmitted a letter to that effect on Aug. 26, 2013.
“There are two cases on this matter: one between Mr Bello Mustapha against Suntai at the Supreme Court and Suntai against the house of assembly at the state high court; both are served on the defendants.
“Their action of setting up the panel to investigate Suntai is thus a usurpation of the powers of the Supreme Court and the state high court.
“It is, therefore, illegal, null and void,” he said.
Haruna ordered the parties not to take further action on Suntai until the determination of the substantive suites at various courts.
He noted that any party that was not satisfied with the judgement has 90 days to proceed to appeal.
Lead Counsel to Umar, Mr Chris Uche, SAN, said they were not satisfied with the judgement but would study it carefully and take further action.
Lead Counsel to Suntai, Dr Alex Iziyon SAN, represented by Mr Elijah Nyaro, said he was happy that justice has finally been served on the medical panel issue.
Source: The News